Thursday, February 7, 2013

"Point!"

Squirrel latch-hook pillow! Not a completely original pattern - I based it off an online image of a cross-stitch pattern with two squirrels in some wintry environment, but cropped it and changed the background to a leafy setting:


I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn for the dark brown and black, and Caron Simply Soft yarn for all the other colors. This was because these were the only brands I already owned for the colors I wanted... if you actually want to create your own latch-hook pieces, you ideally shouldn't use either. Red Heart Super Saver is very stiff and on the rough side (for a pillow, anyway) while Caron Simply Soft is fairly thin for the latch hook canvas size and unravels easily.

In terms of both softness of texture and possibly yarn weight, I would recommend trying Red Heart Soft or Lion Brand Vanna's Choice yarn (though no guarantees because I actually haven't tried these myself.) Caron also makes a "craft & rug yarn" that might be good for this - they sell their own DIY latch-hook kits and this could be the yarn they use for those.


Pillow form! Stuffed super-full because that's how pillows ought to be. ^_^ The pattern I used is below, if you care to try for yourself. All you need are a latch-hook tool, mesh canvas, yarn, and (someone with) the patience to cut the yarn into even lengths (I chose 2.5" and it seems like a nice length.) Note that it's a lot easier and faster (and more error-resistant) to measure out 2^n multiples of your desired length, then fold in half and cut several times.


Good luck, have fun, and look out soon for a completely original crochet pattern! =D




No comments: